Thursday, June 11, 2009

Refreshing

You know what is so beautifully refreshing? When someone believes in you. More specifically, when someone reminds you of the evidence of Jesus you carry. Being a glimpse of Jesus. Exuding the Spirit. Aaah, I love it. It's my ultimate hope and goal: to give people I come in contact with in life a glimpse of Jesus, hoping that leads to more. It's wonderful and gives my stomach a flutter when someone affirms that just that can be seen in me. Love it!

I also love getting letters in the mail. Like, handwritten letters. Or invitations to something. With a handwritten address on the envelope. I don't especially like printed out letters. I LOVE getting mail where I can see someone's handwriting, even if it's chicken scratch. It's from the heart, which is what counts in my book. Lately I've received a handful of letters just like that and it seriously brings me more joy than I should probably get from receiving a letter. Just the idea that someone is thinking of me and took the time to write to me, gives me the warm fuzzies. Maybe it's pathetic, but I refuse to see it as that. 

I've been feeling pretty. . . light lately. I like the word "light", because I've felt this weight and burden that I've forced myself to carry throughout most of the year and I'm learning what to pick up and what to refuse to carry. It's great. I'm still re-learning a lot of things, and sometimes I get really irritated with my pace, but at the same time. . . I'm moving. And that's what matters. yay, God! :) (that sounds like such an elementary-schooler statement, and I'm not even going to take it back). 

5 comments:

Nate Hanson said...

So, this is weird (I commented on your other post about this too...) but, I attend EBC and grew up in Portland, Oregon. I searched for something about my school (EBC) and your blog post popped up. Weird...

Anyway, if you have any questions about the area, the move, the school, the people... anything... Just ask me. I'd love to help out.

God bless, sis.

-Nate

alishmali said...

hey! wow, I'm amazed by how googling EBC could lead to my blog! I never thought of that, ha ha. That's pretty rad, though!
I have actually applied for fall of 2009 and am still waiting to hear back (one of my reference forms hasn't made it, so I've got to get that taken care of pretty quickly here). Thanks for being so kind as to answer my questions. Right now I can't say that I have too many, but I might after I (hopefully!) receive the acceptance letter! It'd be great to meet another Oregonian. :)
(ps, sorry I didn't respond sooner. For some reason, I never know if anyone comments on my blog. I need to figure out how to fix that, ha ha.)

Nate Hanson said...

That's awesome! I look forward to seeing you down here then! Where are you going to live... do you know yet?

There are a bunch of really neat people here. I'll get you plugged in so you know people.

Oh, and I need more Oregonian's down here because no one knows anything about Oregon. I honestly had someone ask me a while back, "Now, I always forget which state is right above us... Is it Oregon or Washington?"

alishmali said...

oh, brother, really?! That's pretty funny. I love oregon!! It's actually going to be really hard for me to adjust to Cali. I'll do my best, though!
I'm not quite sure yet about living stuff. I need to get that last personal reference in, and then I can start figuring out other details, which I'd really like to do soon, considering it'll be a big move!

Nate Hanson said...

Yeah... are you on Facebook?

Add me if you are:

www.facebook.com/natehanson