Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Moving. . .?

I was just thinking how a good majority of my closest and best friends don't live here anymore. Kristin got married and now lives in Tennessee. And I would say she's the furthest away, but Ivonne lives in Ecuador and I consider her to be one of my best friends. Andrea has lived in Canada all our lives, so that's nothing new, but since we finally got to see each other outside of the summer vacation atmosphere, I'm more aware of how much we really don't see each other. Molly's been at George Fox, Leah's there as well, Tifani's in Colorado, and even though I have a ton of Monmouth and Eugene friends that are just a car drive away, if you don't have gas money, that car drive might as well be another continent. My Salem friends that I'm closest with are usually super busy or just on different schedules, so getting together is hard to do. I don't want this to sound like a pity party entry (although it already does), but I was just thinking about that and realizing I may very well be finding myself completely uprooting once again and vulnerably moving into a brand new area, culture, and lifestyle. 
Ok, so it's not a completely different country this time, but it is Southern California, which is the place I never ever thought I would end up, let alone want to be living there. I'm sure most of you know that I've been thinking about attending Eternity Bible College for some time now. Well, it's spring term now at Chemeketa and we're heading into summer in just over 10 weeks, and EBC starts classes in late August. And I have some BIG decisions to make. I have never before had to actually choose where I wanted to go to school. Even with Chemeketa I began classes because it was the next step that made sense. . . . Salem's community college, until I figure out what's next. Now I'm starting to think through and pray through what's next. And to be honest. . . 

I am terrified. 

 I am so afraid of what will come if I choose to take the huge faith step and move down to Simi Valley, CA to attend EBC. And it's not just a I'm-nervous-I-won't-make-friends kind of a fear; this is something that unfortunately was instilled in me after my last experience where I made a huge prayer-led decision, and it didn't work out. I think 'didn't work out' is putting it nicely; to me, it felt like everything came crashing down in an instant and I was left empty and confused. 
I'm so thankful because I know that this healing process has been taking baby steps which is exactly the way it should be, and I am growing and healing and learning and experiencing and discovering and processing and. . . loving learning what it means when the heart waits. And I am sooo thankful! But I still have this sick feeling in the pit of my stomach every time I think about EBC that goes "don't you remember what happened last time?" 

Right now I'm listening to Hillsong United's "Savior King". My headline actually comes from this song. I love it so much: 

and now the weak say "I have strength"
By the Spirit of Power that raised Christ from the dead

I can put out an obvious statement and say I feel weak. But I'm setting aside a month to really dive into praying through some choices I need to be making about college, and where I will (theoretically) be spending the next four years of my life. And I have to remember I can only make choices based upon what I have in front of me right now. I can't see far ahead of me, and I'm not expected to. I'm asked to trust. And I can try. I can trust that there is so much more. . . 

I am not a failure. 
That was not a failure. 

Thanks for reading all the way through this, friends. 

5 comments:

Kirsten said...

Ali, I always love reading your posts. You are so genuine when you write, it feels like I am listening to you talk to me personally :)

You do have a big decision to make, and I will be praying for you friend. God will lead you in the path He wants you to go :)

Love you!

rachelmj said...

I know that it's such an easier thing to hear than to believe, but everything that happened with Ecuador was part of God's plan, and not a mistake. He's just preparing you for something bigger, and you'll look back and think "oh, that is why that had to happen" one day.
Praying for you.

alishmali said...

thanks Kirsten and Rach.
Both encouraging things to be reminded of. :)

sara the mes said...

the month is up tomorrow. how's the praying been?

Nate Hanson said...

So, this is weird (I commented on your other post about this too...) but, I attend EBC and grew up in Portland, Oregon. I searched for something about my school (EBC) and your blog post popped up. Weird...

Anyway, if you have any questions about the area, the move, the school, the people... anything... Just ask me. I'd love to help out.

God bless, sis.

-Nate