Monday, August 11, 2008

I was NOT killing chickens!

I made the subject line because today I was doing a lot of painting at the school on the stair rails and walls, and I happened to be using red paint. One of the men from the church came by the school during the day and seeing my legs and arms covered in swipes of red, thought he'd tease me and asked me if I had been out killing chickens for dinner. The funny thing is, he knew I would see it as a joke, but it wouldn't be surprising if I had said yes. Well, maybe it would be surprising if I did because I'm the American, but not if one of the other women at the church said yes. 
Another funny story tied in to the painting theme was that today I wore really basic, not at all flattering clothes to paint in. I had on some basketball shorts and one of my soccer T-shirts. Ivonne and I were talking about how guys always whistle at you when you are walking down the streets. And I mean always. Yesterday when I was walking outside after church, I think I walked about 4 blocks and was whistled at about 3 different times. So, Ivonne and I were joking that today I would be off the hook since I obviously looked completely unattractive. But we STILL got whistled at, and I just said, "why?!" We were laughing for a long time. Edison was trying to convince me that I should see it as a compliment here if I get whistled at. "It's not like in the states," he said, "it's much more respectful for a man to whistle at you here." Yeah right. It's just more common. There are also little things that are funny to me about how forward the guys are here; They will always tell me without feeling like they would embarass me if they think I look attractive or when they look at my pictures, they'll say "te mires bien guapa" (you look really good/attractive). They will call mi "Alita Linda", or bonita, or guambita, or just linda all the time. After Edison greeted me one morning by saying "hola guambita linda", I asked him why he always had to say that. He said "well, you're beautiful. At least no one is saying 'hi, ugly lady'. You better get used to people flattering you. It's a compliment." They are just more straighforward, I guess. Not that I'm offended. ;)
I am really enjoying the two friends that I have grown closest with thus far: Ivonne and Edison. Edison doesn't speak any english, but he tries, which is REALLY funny, and he is always laughing. He has this crazy laugh and I love it because we all know I have quite a unique laugh, so it feels good to know another person can have just as interesting of a laugh. And I absolutely love Ivonne. We play off each other very well; we are always joking around and laughing together. I am so incredibly thankful that the LORD had Ivonne set out to be my roommate and friend. I adore her. 
Praise the LORD, I am falling in love with this city and these people. 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

what a blessing from the Lord that you speak their language, and speak it well! =0) im praising God for how quickly that has helped you in establishing close friendships! =0)

and yes! you are beautiful! its about time you have to face that fact every day! =0) hehe... just be careful not to break the boys hearts, k? =0)

so glad God is giving you a love for your new home! such an answer to prayer hey? =0)

love you darlin'... pray for you lots!