Monday, December 8, 2008

I miss my ñaña

I really miss Ivonne lately. I always miss all of my friends and the people that I love so much from Ecuador. It's hard being away from all of them. But lately, it's been especially weighing on my heart how much I really love my sister and how much I miss her. 
I called Ivonne tonight and this was what the first few minutes of our conversation were like:

me: "hooooola ñaña!!" 
Ivonne: "Ali, where am I?"
me: "uh. . . . what?"
Ivonne: "guess where I am!"
Me: ". . . somewhere in Macas. . . "
Ivonne: "[laughing] But what can you hear"
me: [pause] Oh!! You're at the river!!"
Ivonne: [laughing again] yes!! " 
Me: "Are you going swimming at 11 o clock at night?! Are you crazy?! I can't leave you alone for five minutes. . ."
Ivonne: "I know, I know. But don't worry, I'm not swimming. just on a walk with Fernando."
me: "ooooo, FerNANdo!"
Ivonne: "oh no, there's a huge truck going over the bridge and it's shaking! I think it's going to break!!"
Me: "WHAT?!"
Ivonne: "[laughing] just kidding!! Nothing's happening."

The rest of the phone call was pretty much the same: lot's of joking around and laughing sooo hard. And that was what things were like when we were together. We always could make each other laugh and smile, even when we were tired or unhappy or in tears. Well, during the moment of tears we'd hug and pray and then whoever wasn't crying would say something witty to make the other one laugh. :) 

I think it's so great how Ivonne and I became instant friends. The very first night I was in Ecuador, when we were in Quito, we talked most of the night in our hotel room. Skipped the awkward and went straight to the we're-practically-gonna-be-sisters!! feeling.  In the next couple of days, we went to see Batman together and went on my first ever ice skating excursion, went walking around Quito, talked forever and laughed until my stomach was hurting and Ivonne's eyes were watering. I asked her what some Quichua words were that I should learn, and she told me that "ñaña" means sister, and from that day on we always call each other ñaña. 

I just miss her so much. I miss getting to pray together. I miss our mornings together reading in the Word and talking about what we thought. I miss her hugs and I miss her facial expressions. 

I miss my ñaña. Phone calls can only do so much. 

No comments: